Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Todays quote:

"the only true wisdom'lives far from mankind, out in the great loneliness, and can be reached only thruogh suffering. Provation and suffering alone open the mind to all tha is hidden to others." Taken from The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell.
I thought this realted to my journey and probably the collective journey of all us endurance athletes. It is while suffering that we see the light, sometimes, it is in suffering that I have some of my best and obviously worst moments as well. It highlights times, people and experiences. When I am alone out in the wilderness I am at times overwhelmed by the grandness of it all, I am also weary as I know that if it all goes wrong I am a long way from help. This can be a great time of growth. My experience as of late has been one of learning through not listening to signs and signals and know that I must start to pay attention, for the last weeks have been dark and stormy inside my mind and I am simplfiying all that I do. I am sleeping more, worrying less and through it all staying present and aware. Taking care of myself is what I am learnig to do through not taking care of myself. Randomness. Here is another quote that I liked taken from the same book:
"People say taht what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. I don't think that's what we're seeking. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances within our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive."
Again not to sound like a broken record but this is what cycling and endrance racing in general have brought to me. I find that I feel more alive while suffering, and more connected with what I call the Human Condition, read being alive, real. At the end of the day we are all just trying to make it through another day feeling alive and valid. Why do you think that drug abuse is so prevalent? It melts thing away and provides an outlet. Emotions come out, that is where the " I love you man" thing comes from. Natural highs take more than sitting in a crowded bar. Cycling, running what ever it is that helps you to feel more alive do it, it is the best high going. It is also the most connection that you will feel. The vibe at a 24 hr race of 100 mile race is so good, everyone is there to see what they are made of, win or lose, everyone wins and connects due to the respect of just being part of these races, the comraderie is amazing, from the winner on down. So here comes one of those hippy says "love thy neighbor" because to reitterate a point we are all just here trying to make it through the day, feeling alive and validated, "treat others as you wish to be treated" If you made it this far thanks. Keep pedaling it is a way to feel good and connected.

No comments: