Thursday, January 05, 2006

The rat race...

The rat race is a race from Gibsons bc to Roberts Creek. I had the pleasure of heading north over the last two days, first to drop danielle's sister off at college, the UBC campus is mind boggleing in size, after that it was north of vancouver just a bit to the horseshoe bay ferry and off to Gibsons to visit Danielle's Grandparents. That was Tuesday. Lots of time in the car, and an aching back later. I was struck by how much I would have enjoyed traveling a different way or at least I romatizied about how it would be better not to be part of the massive line of cars all the way to Canada, I am sure that the constant rain didnt help either. I am not a good passenger, I focus too much on the road. I imagine there is a lesson to leearn what it is I am unsure of right now. Planning things out sure would help, but that is a whole different post all together. So getting to the point. On wednesday we went for a ride, I cant say that it was sunny, but at least the rain had subsided for a bit. I didnt bring the mountain bike as I wasnt sure I was that ready to explore, but man do I wish I had. So I rode from Gibsons to Sechelt, in Sechelt I went to on the edge bike shop to get a tube, and ask about the local trails. Here is where I wish I had a mountain bike. They have sooo many trials, and Laurane the very nice woman behind the counter told me of a race called the rat race, on dirt and 48-60 km in length with lots of climbing. She said the promoter really likes to make you suffer. It will be on May 6th hopefully I will be feeling up to it. They have a three race endurance series, maybe I will try to do at least two of the races. Last night we returned late, and today has been non stop rain, what better to do than ride over the the Collenade trail work and put in some time, in the dirt and mud, now I am home for a moment and then off to work. I took the long way home, put in all of 15 miles today. Riding in the rain is all mental, you just have to get out in it, that is most of the battle, fenders and foot protection dont hurt at all though. The novice area is coming together well. The Seattle PI stopped by to take some pictures and said they were thinking of doing an article. In other news REI is being featured in Fortunes top 500 as they are supporting this trail building effort, and one of the other times that I did trail work they were taking pictures, so I got news that they are using a pic that I am in. I'll put up links when and if I get word of the articles being avalible on line. Thanks and as always keep pedaling.

1 comment:

PaddyH said...

always link a man with the right hairstyle, and drivetrain...back at-cha